Joy to All, from the White House to your house...First Lady Michelle Obama invited children from military families for a craft-making session in the State Dining Room when she unveiled this year's 'Joy to All' Christmas decor. Led by Executive Pastry Chef Bill Yosses, Mrs. Obama and the kids used whole pomegranates, ribbon, glitter glue and plastic doves to create sparkling ornaments. The kids had a lot of fun making their keepsakes, and it's an easy and fun craft that can be recreated at home. (Above: Mrs. Obama at the craft table; Yosses is at left)
*Glitter glue in holiday colors: Sliver, blue, red, green, gold
1. Preheat over to 190 degrees F.
2. Place pomegranates on a baking sheet and dry in the oven for at least fifteen minutes.
3. Decorate pomegranates with glitter glue, with polka dots, hearts, stars. Let dry.
4. Tie a ribbon around the pomegranate and leave some long ends to tie a loop to hang on the tree.
5. Pin a holiday decoration on top of the pomegranate, such as a snowman, star or dove.
Above, Yosses displays a completed ornament.
Check the side bar for all White House recipes. Click here for links to all posts about the 2012 holidays.
Download: The 2012 Official White House Holiday Tour Booklet [PDF].
Above, Mrs. Obama displays a sparkly heart on a pomegranate.
*Photos by Eddie Gehman Kohan/Obama Foodorama