First Lady invites supporters to "get your name added to the guest list" with $3 donation; Campaign has not yet set up an 'Obama Event Registry' for presidential gifts...
UPDATE: CLICK HERE for links to all posts about the event
President Obama turns 51 on August 4th, and First Lady Michelle Obama on Monday announced via e-mail that "there will be a little celebration at our house in Chicago" as she invited supporters to donate $3 to "be automatically entered to get your name added to the guest list." Obama for America's 'Birthday with Barack' sweepstakes offers two winners the chance to join "friends and family" at the First Family's tony Hyde Park neighborhood home; the lucky partiers will be selected after the contest closes on July 26th at Midnight Hawaii time...which coincidentally is where the President was born. Update, July 17: The event will be held on August 12th
"Barack's birthday is one of the last opportunities he'll get for a little downtime before the final weeks of the election," Mrs. Obama wrote.
"That won't stop me from teasing him about all those new gray hairs he has--though I think it's fair to say he's earned every one."
"Wish Barack a happy birthday, face to face," reads the donation page on BarackObama.com. "President Obama is...celebrating with friends and family back at his home in Chicago."
The prize package includes air fare to Chicago and a one-night hotel stay, according to the Official Rules, reprinted below. The assigned retail value of $1,600 is taxable to winners, who must also pass background checks and agree to be used in campaign promotional materials throughout eternity.
Of course, gifts for President Obama should be cash donations to his re-election war chest, but the campaign has not yet set up an Obama Event Registry for the shindig.
The President celebrated his landmark 50th birthday last year at the White House with a barbecue in the Rose Garden followed by barefoot dancing into the wee hours in the East Room, where the historic carpet was rolled away in order to better do the Electric Slide. The star-studded guest list of more than 200 included Stevie Wonder, Chris Rock, Grant Hill, Jay-Z, Charles Barkley, Whoopi Goldberg, Emmitt Smith, Steve Harvey, Herbie Hancock, and Hill Harper. As Mrs. Obama and the First Daughters presented the President with a chocolate cake, Hancock and Wonder led the crowd in singing 'Happy Birthday' at the shindig Rock later dubbed "black heaven" and "the most unbelievable experience of my life."
As with all Obama for America contests, there's a required page where hopefuls can enter the contest for free--but don't hold your breath.
While the current contest language specifically states that "President Obama is...celebrating with friends and family back at his home in Chicago," the venue could change. OFA has a history of changing the rules for the many 'Dinner with Barack' contests. A sixth 'Dinner with Barack' contest is currently underway.
The First Lady's e-mail subject line read "Barack would personally love it."
The full text of Mrs. Obama's e-mail:
Barack turns 51 next month, and there will be a little celebration at our house in Chicago.
We'd like to give grassroots supporters an opportunity to join in the fun. You guys deserve it, and I know Barack would personally love to see you there.
Donate $3 or whatever you can today, and you'll be automatically entered to get your name added to the guest list.
Barack's birthday is one of the last opportunities he'll get for a little downtime before the final weeks of the election.
That won't stop me from teasing him about all those new gray hairs he has -- though I think it's fair to say he's earned every one.
So if you're standing with Barack for the final months of his final campaign, there's no better way to show it than by making a donation to build this grassroots organization today.
If you do, you'll be automatically entered for the chance to join him for his birthday celebration in Chicago. We'll also fly you out and take care of all the travel arrangements.
The Official Rules:
OBAMA FOR AMERICA "BIRTHDAY WITH BARACK" SWEEPSTAKES
Important: Please read these Official Rules before entering this online promotion (the "Promotion").
By participating in the Promotion, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements below.
NO PURCHASE, PAYMENT, OR FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTION OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS PROMOTION.
1. Eligibility. PURCHASE, PAYMENT OR FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTION WILL NOT INCREASE ODDS OF WINNING. PROMOTION VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. PROMOTION OPEN ONLY TO INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES CITIZENS AND LAWFUL PERMANENT U.S. RESIDENTS WHO ARE LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES, THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AND PUERTO RICO, AND OVER THE AGE OF 18 (OR THE AGE OF MAJORITY UNDER APPLICABLE LAW). BUSINESSES, CORPORATIONS, REGISTERED FEDERAL LOBBYISTS, REGISTERED FOREIGN AGENTS, FEDERAL POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEES, NATIONAL BANKS, FEDERAL CONTRACTORS, LABOR ORGANIZATIONS OR OTHER ENTITIES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE, NOR MAY ANY INDIVIDUAL ENTER ON BEHALF OF ANY SUCH INDIVIDUALS OR ENTITIES. IF YOU DO NOT MEET ANY OF THESE REQUIREMENTS, OR ANY OTHER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO WIN A PRIZE, AND OBAMA FOR AMERICA ("SPONSOR") RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO AWARD PRIZES TO YOU. To be eligible to win the prize, entries must be completed and received by Sponsor in the format designated below. Directors, officers and employees of Sponsor and any of their respective affiliated committees, subsidiaries, agents, professional advisors, consultants, advertising and promotional agencies, and immediate families of each are not eligible to win any prizes. All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
2. Disclaimer. Sponsor, and its related committees, candidates, affiliates, directors, officers, consultants, professional advisors, employees and agents (collectively, the "Released Parties") will not be responsible for: (a) any late, lost, misrouted, garbled or distorted or damaged transmissions or entries; (b) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet, or other computer- or communications-related malfunctions or failures; (c) any Promotion disruptions, injuries, losses or damages caused by events beyond the control of Sponsor or by non-authorized human intervention; or (d) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Promotion.
3. Promotion Period. The Promotion starts at 6:00 a.m. Eastern Time on July 16th, 2012 and ends at 11:59 p.m. (unless otherwise noted, all times Hawaiian Time) on July 26th, 2012 (the "Promotion Period"). All entries must be received during the Promotion Period to be eligible to win a prize.
4. Prizes. Two (2) winners will each receive the following prize package (the "Trip"):
Round-trip coach-class airplane tickets for winner and a guest from the major airport closest to the winner's address within the fifty United States, Puerto Rico or the District of Columbia to a destination within the continental United States to be determined at the sole discretion of the Sponsor ("Destination"), including ground transportation to and from the airport at the Destination (approximate retail value $1,200.00);
One night's stay for winner and a guest at a hotel at the Destination on a date to be determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion in a double-occupancy room or room of equivalent value (approximate retail value $200.00);
Tickets for winner and guest to an event with President Barack Obama at the Destination, on a date, at a venue and for a duration to be determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion (approximate retail value $200.00);
Approximate retail value of all prizes awarded: $3,200.00.
Sponsor will choose, in its sole discretion, the airline, hotel, flight dates, flight times, departure city and airport and other Trip logistics and details. Dates of travel are subject to availability. If winner's address is within 100 miles of the Destination, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, provide ground transportation to the Trip hotel or event in lieu of an airplane ticket. Except as expressly set forth in the description of the Trip above, winner and his or her guest are responsible for ground transportation to and from the airports and hotel, all meals and all other expenses that winner and his or her guest incur in connection with the Trip. Sponsor will also determine, in its sole discretion, the date, location, attendees, and all other relevant details of the Trip.
5. Odds; Taxes; Etc. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number and quality of eligible entries received, and the timing of your entry. ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZE ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF WINNER. All prizes will be awarded. The prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternative winner if (a) the winner affidavit and release materials (see Sections 10 and 11 below) are not returned as required from the potential winner and his or her guest, (b) if two (2) attempts to contact the potential winner by phone and/or e-mail are not successful, (c) the potential winner is not able to travel to any event included as part of the prize on the date Sponsor determines to hold such event, or if (d) any prize is otherwise not claimed. Prizes are not transferable. No substitutions or exchanges (including for cash) of any prizes will be permitted, except that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value for any prize. Limit one prize per household or address. All prizes are awarded "AS IS" and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose).
6. Identity of Entrant. In the event of a dispute about the identity of the entrant, entries made online will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. An authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The potential winner may be required to provide Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry.
How to Enter.
Participants may enter as follows:
(a) Free Online Entry Method: To enter via the free online entry method, visit https://my.barackobama.com/page/s/baracks-birthday-free-entry or other web page specifically identified by Sponsor and complete and submit the online entry form during the Promotion Period.
(b) Obama for America Contribution Method: We are asking for a donation of up to $2,500 from individuals per election to Obama for America. We are not asking for, and will not accept in connection with this solicitation, donations in any amount from registered federal lobbyists, registered foreign agents, federal political action committees, or minors under the age of 16. Contributions in any amount from corporations, labor organizations, national banks, federal contractors, and foreign nationals are prohibited. To enter by contributing money to Sponsor, complete and submit the contribution form at https://contribute.barackobama.com/donation/07/ofa.html or other web page specifically identified by Sponsor during the Promotion Period. No minimum contribution is necessary to enter. Entering via the contribution method described in this paragraph (b) will not increase your chances of winning the prize.
(c) Obama Victory Fund 2012 Contribution Method: We are asking for a donation of up to $75,800 from individuals to Obama Victory Fund 2012. We are not asking for, and will not accept in connection with this solicitation, donations in any amount from registered federal lobbyists, registered foreign agents, federal political action committees, or minors under the age of 16. Contributions in any amount from corporations, labor organizations, national banks, federal contractors, and foreign nationals are prohibited. To enter by contributing money to Obama Victory Fund 2012, complete and submit the contribution form at https://contribute.barackobama.com/donation/baracks-birthday/07/ovf.html or other web page specifically identified by Sponsor during the Promotion Period. No minimum contribution is necessary to enter. Entering via the contribution method described in this paragraph (c) will not increase your chances of winning the prize. The first $5,000 of a contribution to Obama Victory Fund 2012 will be allocated to Obama for America (with the first $2,500 designated for the primary election, and the next $2,500 for the general election). The next $30,800 of a contribution will be allocated to the Democratic National Committee. Any additional amounts from a contributor will be divided among the State Democratic Party Committees as follows, up to $10,000 per committee and subject to the biennial aggregate limits: FL (17%); OH (16%); PA (13%); CO (11%); NC (11%); VA (11%); NV (6%); WI (6%); IA (5%); and NH (4%). A contributor may designate his or her contribution for a particular participant. The allocation formula above may change if following it would result in an excessive contribution. Contributions will be used in connection with a Federal election.
8. Promotion Rules. Subject to the terms and conditions of these Official Rules:
(a) all entries received during the Promotion Period via the free online entry method described in Section 7(a) shall be deemed to be worth two (2) entries per each valid online entry;
(b) all entries received prior to July 26th, 2012 via either of the contribution methods described in Section 7(b) or Section 7(c) shall constitute one (1) entry per each contribution;
(c) all entries received on July 26th, 2012 via either of the contribution methods described in Section 7(b) or Section 7(c) shall be deemed to be worth two (2) entries per each contribution;
Fifty (50) potential winners will be selected by a random drawing from all eligible entries to be held at Obama for America Headquarters by July 27th, 2012. Sponsor may, at its option, conduct a background check on each potential winner. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any potential winner from receiving any prize based on such background check if Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion that awarding any prize to such potential winner could result in a safety or security risk to any person or persons or could result in the disruption of any event associated with the Promotion. Sponsor will, in its sole discretion, then select two (2) winners from the list of eligible potential winners on the basis of criteria determined and applied by Sponsor to provide for an appropriate range of views, backgrounds, and interests. Winners will be notified by phone or e-mail by August 10th, 2012. To claim the prize, each winner should follow the instructions and comply with the conditions contained in his or her notification. Winners must then identify potential guests to Sponsor, and Sponsor may, at its option, conduct the same background check and process applicable to potential winners. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any potential guest in its sole discretion. In the event that not enough potential winners respond to Sponsor's attempts to contact them or are otherwise disqualified such that Sponsor is unable to award all prizes, Sponsor may select additional potential winners by random drawing from remaining eligible entries.
9. General Release. By entering the Promotion, you release Sponsor and all Released Parties from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Promotion or delivery, misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use of or inability to use any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.
10. Use of Winner Name, Likeness, etc. Except where prohibited by law, entry into the Promotion constitutes permission to use each winner's name, hometown, likeness and/or prize information, without limitation, for promotional purposes without further permission or compensation. As a condition of being awarded any prize, except where prohibited by law, each winner may be required to execute a consent to the use of his or her name, hometown, likeness and/or prize information, without limitation, for promotional purposes without further permission or compensation.
11. Affidavit & Release. As a condition of being awarded any prize, each winner and guest may be required to execute and deliver to Sponsor a signed affidavit of eligibility and acceptance of these Official Rules and release of liability, and any other legal, regulatory, or tax-related documents required by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
12. Winner List; Rules Request. For a copy of the winner list, send a stamped, self-addressed, business-size envelope after August 13th, 2012 and before August 13th, 2013 to Sponsor at the address listed below, Attn: "Birthday with Barack" Winner List. To obtain a copy of these Official Rules, visit http://www.barackobama.com/baracks-birthday/rulesor send a stamped, self-addressed business-size envelope to Sponsor at the address listed below, Attn: "Birthday with Barack" Rules Request. Residents of VT may omit return postage.
13. Intellectual Property Notice. The Promotion and all accompanying materials are copyright (c) 2012 by Obama for America. All rights reserved.
14. Miscellaneous. The Promotion and these Official Rules will be governed, construed and interpreted under the laws of Illinois, U.S.A. without regard to its or any other jurisdiction's choice of law provisions. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Any provision of these Official Rules deemed unenforceable will be enforced to the extent permissible, and the remainder of these Official Rules will remain in effect. Sponsor reserves the right to change these Official Rules at any time, in its sole discretion, and to suspend or cancel the Promotion or any entrant's participation in the Promotion should viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor's control affect the administration, security or proper play of the Promotion, or Sponsor otherwise becomes (as determined in its sole discretion) incapable of running the Promotion as planned. Entrants who violate these Official Rules, violate any law, rule or regulation in connection with participation in the Promotion, tamper with the operation of the Promotion or engage in any conduct that is detrimental or unfair to Sponsor, the Promotion or any other entrant (in each case as determined in Sponsor's sole discretion) are subject to disqualification from entry into the Promotion. Sponsor reserves the right to lock out persons whose eligibility is in question or who have been disqualified or are otherwise ineligible to enter the Promotion. If you have any questions about these Official Rules or the Promotion, please e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org or send written questions to the address listed below, Attn: "Birthday with Barack" Questions.
15. Sponsor: Obama for America, 130 E. Randolph St., Chicago, IL 60601.