Seasonal cake and cookie recipes from the First Kitchen...
President Obama and First Lady Obama's pastry kitchen is led by Executive Pastry Chef Bill Yosses, one of America's most acclaimed sugar masters. Below are links to all the holiday recipes the White House has released since President Obama took office. All of the treats were served on the dessert tables during this year's Presidential holiday receptions. Held almost every night since the week after Thanksgiving, thousands of guests were invited. (The First Lady and Yosses in 2010, during a holiday treat-making session at the White House)
1. This year's special holiday recipe release, for Pumpkin Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Icing, is here.
2. The recipe for Holiday Apple Cake with Maple Glaze is here; it was released in 2010. It's easy to make, and delicious. Many of the Obama White House recipes that have been released focus on apples; check the sidebar for all recipes.
3. The recipe for Holiday Honey Cupcakes is here; it was released in 2009. Everyone at the White House was excited about the newly installed Beehive, the first to ever be on the White House grounds, so this recipe spotlights honey. The Beehive produced about 243 pounds of honey this year, and is now dormant for winter.
1. The recipe for Holiday Sweet Dough Butter Cookies is here. It's the same recipe used for the President and Mrs. Obama's Halloween treat bags. At Christmas, the cookies are cut into holiday shapes, including ones that are shaped like First Dog Bo. Read here about the massive White House holiday cookie operation.
2. The recipe for Holiday Gingerbread Cookies is here. It's the same recipe that's used on a far larger scale to make the White House Gingerbread House. Perfect for cookies or ornaments, it was released in 2010.
Fun stuff: Download the 2011 White House Holiday Tour Book [PDF]. Click here for all the 2011 White House Holiday Photos of the Day.
*Photo above is a dessert table at one of the receptions. Photos by Eddie Gehman Kohan/Obama Foodorama