#9: "Treated himself to piece of First Lady's carob-flavored kelp loaf birthday cake"...#5: "Sent 82nd Airborne on In-n-Out Burger Run"...
As President Obama celebrated his 50th birthday on Thursday with a "fabulous" but "casual" party at the White House, David Letterman on CBS's Late Show announced his list of "Top Ten Ways Barack Obama Celebrated His Birthday." The list had a number of amusing foodie notations, including #9: "Treated himself to piece of First Lady's carob-flavored kelp loaf birthday cake." #5 references the President's now legendary public love affair with hamburgers: "Sent 82nd Airborne on In n' Out Burger Run." #7: "Pizza and video games at Washington kids' restaurant "Chuck E. Schumer's." #3 is about relaxing: "Shark Week & two pints of "Chubby Hubby."
In the past two months, President Obama and Press Secretary Jay Carney have both noted that they can "walk and chew gum at the same time," when responding to criticism about why the President was continuing to attend campaign fundraisers outside the White House, while the economy is in desperate shape. #8 on Letterman's list: "Asked for an iPad, let Republicans negotiate him down to a wad of gum."
The President also had an early birthday celebration in Chicago, with three different fundraisers on Wednesday night.
Top Ten Ways Barack Obama Celebrated His Birthday
10. Updated his resume
9. Treated himself to piece of First Lady's carob-flavored kelp loaf birthday cake
8. Asked for an iPad, let Republicans negotiate him down to a wad of gum
7. Pizza and video games at Washington kids' restaurant "Chuck E. Schumer's"
6. Asked for any cash gifts to be in Canadian dollars
5. Sent 82nd Airborne on In-N-Out Burger run
4. Invited fun costumed characters
3. Shark Week & two pints of "Chubby Hubby."
2. Got a fabulous makeover from Michele O'Bachmann's husband
1. Forged a Kenyan birth certificate to get him out of this miserable job
*CBS video. With thanks to Eater.com.
*Getty photo at top of post is wax cupcakes at DC's Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, which decorated the President Obama Oval Office display with balloons and streamers.